Editing Expense Tax Rates

You can edit your expense tax rates in the settings or manually override the tax amount when entering the expense.

Ben Luxon avatar
Written by Ben Luxon
Updated over a week ago

Our app is used by people all over the US and all over the world. Each country and each US state has its own VAT/ Sales Tax rates. We have set the default tax rate for each country, however, you may need to adjust your tax rates, or override your global settings to match the current tax rate of your location.

Adjust Tax Rates On Mobile

  • Navigate to Settings by tapping on the “More” option on the bottom menu bar.

  • Select “General” 

  • Then select “Tax Rate %

  • Enter the correct tax rate and hit save.

Adjust Tax Rates on Desktop

  • Click on Settings on the left-hand menu bar

  • Click on General

  • Select “Tax Rate %”

  • Enter the correct tax rate and hit save.

Overriding Global Tax Rate Settings

If an item your purchased has a different tax rate than your global settings tax rate you can manually override the tax amount for that individual expense.

You do this whilst entering the expense.

  • Enter the expense amount minus the tax amount.

  • Click on Remove Tax

  • Manually enter the tax amount.

How to Find your Tax Rate

The United States does not charge a federal sales tax. Instead, sales tax is calculated according to state, county, and municipality. The best way to determine the correct global tax rate to set for your location is by running a quick Google search.

You can view a state-specific – Sales Tax Rates Guide Here

Alternatively, you can manually enter the correct tax amount in each setting as described above.

Standard Tax Rates for the UK, NZ, and Australia

  • In the United Kingdom, the standard VAT rate is 20%

  • In New Zealand, the standard GST rate is 15%

  • In Australia, the standard GST is 10%

(Last updated 2020)

This page is a general guide and doesn't replace any official government information or regulations. If you're not sure about anything related to your taxes, then contact the relevant tax authority or a tax professional.

Did this answer your question?